Art & Culture
Fire at Kampa Museum is under control and art is safe
Electrical wiring was to blame for a fire in the Kampa Museum’s technical room in Prague’s U Sovových mlýnů Street. The fire has already been extinguished, with four fire brigades intervening. Museum patrons and staff were evacuated and according to firefighters, there is one person in medical care.
“The switchboard in the adjoining technical room is on fire. We try to keep the fire from spreading. The museum is not endangered by fire. We are trying to find out to what extent combustion products could be a danger, “said Martin Kavka, a spokesman for the Prague fire brigade.
Firefighters also considered evacuating the paintings as the fumes entered the exhibition area. In the end, however, after an agreement with the museum’s experts, the exhibition space was only ventilated.
Among other things, the Kampa Museum manages a collection of works by the pioneer of abstract art, František Kupka (1871-1957), one of the most important world art representatives of the 20th century.
Record floodwaters hit the home of the Kampa Museum in 2002. Thanks to the huge commitment of all the museum staff and volunteers, they were able to be opened to the public again in a very short time.